4 Why are websites developed with poor accessibility?
Despite the huge abundance of resources about accessibility available in the Internet, websites with poor accessibility are still developed. Some of the reasons for this paradox are:
- Many web developers are unaware of accessibility principles.
- Many website owners don't care about the negative image they portray and the potential loss of revenue from such sites.
- The web still contains legacy websites that date back a couple of years, and it is possible that they were adequate at the time they were developed, but not now.
- Conducting accessibility evaluation and improvement of websites is becoming increasingly difficult because they are typically becoming larger and more complex in nature.
- Websites today tend to be updated more regularly than in the past. Accessibility evaluation may be overlooked, resulting in less accessible web sites.