Usability of OER
The concept of Web Usability refers to the perception of the user while interacting in a website, based on efficient completion of their tasks on the website, and even emotional connection with the website. The Web Usability contributes to improving the experiences of people with disabilities and without disabilities in web navigation. To enhance the Web Usability, the website should meet these characteristics:
- Learnability. Easiness of access and use website (novice users). The utility of on-line help, tutorials, hints and tips.
- Intuitiveness. The understandable design of the website.
- Memorability. Easiness of memorizing the navigation and use of the website.
- Affordance. Perception of action linked to interactive elements (such as buttons, links and input text boxes).
- Efficiency and preciseness. The users get what they are looking for on the website, in a direct and straightforward way.
- Some characteristics such as fault tolerance are associated with web applications more than to websites.
Web usability evaluation aims to recognize obvious usability problems in the website and has some common elements with web accessibility evaluation.